Practical Performance Benchmarking, and Tuning
As promised here are my slides, a few corrections, and some links to further resources.
1. XHProf is designed to work in production enviroments. My particular problems were related to an I/O problem that would be expected if trying to handle such loads on a Mac Pro (thanks Mark)
2. top is installed on every system and can be used instead if htop. I just like htop better.
- System load explained: http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2009/07/31/understanding-load-averages
- APC: http://drupal.org/project/apc
- Memcached: http://drupal.org/project/memcache
- Siege http://www.joedog.org/index/siege-home
- XHProf: http://www.lullabot.com/articles/installing-xhprof-mamp-on-mac-os-106-sn...
- htop: http://themainframe.ca/2011/06/29/install-htop-on-mac-os-x/
- memcached on MAMP: http://www.lullabot.com/articles/setup-memcached-mamp-sandbox-environment
OMG SPAM ATTACK, BUT MIKEYTOWN SAY:
Sad to see all the spam here... anyway if your using Drupal 6 I have a wiki for performance: http://groups.drupal.org/node/187209
Check out the fork of the ESI module ;)