A Web Development Warchest
Here's the programs and frameworks that I use everyday, and couldn't function without. I figured this list might be useful to someone who's just getting started in web development.
Turning your computer into a web server:
- XAMPP ( only noobs develop on the live remote serve....r)
- Code editor: eclipse (a distro for php)
- MySQL "crutch" (a gui) : Navicat
- Version Control : Subversion via the elcipse plugin
- Image Stuff, Designing, Wireframing: Adobe fireworks
- For barbarians, and as a method of last resort: FTP through FileZilla
- Using Subversion, simply typing the command "svn update" in a shell, via the SSH client putty.exe. This is the only civilized way to update files on a web server.
- CSS, Layouts, Grids, Typopgraphy: BluePrint
- Everything else: Drupal
Getting stuff onto the server
If you've been living under a rock, you may want to check out firebug too.